Open RSC temporarily offline due to exploitation

Learn about the latest news here.
Marwolf
Level 80

OpenRSC temporarily offline due to exploitation

Post by Marwolf »

Dear players,

An undisclosed number of players have decided to exploit bugs, not responsibly disclose them to staff to be fixed, and instead go hog wild on every game world. Because of these people, we have to turn all of the game worlds off, clean up the player databases, which may involve rolling back some if the damage is severe enough, and figure out how to fix this on our own.

Items of high value were duped quietly by a few and then when certain individuals were muted/banned, they doubled down and went nuts on all of the game worlds. A significant number of rare items, dragon items, and wealth have been created and many innocent players have been getting them through drop parties, auction house, general store, and trades (depending on which world). This is a major clean up in the database that volunteer staff have to take time out of their personal day to now attend to.

The game worlds will be offline for a period of time that we are not sure of yet while we manually deal with this huge mess. Thank you for being patient and understanding. Discord and website will remain online but the game worlds will be offline during this process. If you would like to play single player RSC, you can download the game code and run your own version at home on your PC. https://gitlab.com/open-runescape-classic/core

On a side note: we have the ability to trace the life of an item individually, can see the duping occur in the logs, and will be building automated detections to alert and nuke this behavior going forward.

Also, if you really want pest control, maybe it will happen :wink:

From Kenix:
(ETA will be) "When we figure out all of the dupe bug(s), fix them, and prove it to ourselves. Then time to investigate the logs and decide on a rollback or manual fix, then apply the remedy. We all have day jobs, so this will not be quick. We are sorry. "
Jezous
Level 3

Re: OpenRSC temporarily offline due to exploitation

Post by Jezous »

I was wondering what was going on the past several days.

Thank you for your immediate attention.

Good luck to the RSC team!
pikanoah
Level 3

Post by pikanoah »

Sorry a few bad eggs are causing yall havoc and the rest of us exp waste :(. Thanks for your dedication and fixing it, vpn's prolly make it near impossible to have IP bans but I wish there was something to keep the cheaters away for good, the rest of us just wanna grind and make new friends :D
Shodakin
Level 3

Post by Shodakin »

I appreciate the preservation of classic runescape, such a great game. I personally would love to see some strict perm bans for the people caught duping. its just horrible some dumb people can't enjoy games without ruining it for everybody else. not sure your tech but fortnight bans hardware identification numbers. Again all in all, THANK YOU for keeping up with this game.
jdub
Level 3

Post by jdub »

I suspect this is why some people were selling phats so cheaply today?

I just bought one for 50k today(I had no idea there was duping going on). That 50k was all I had to my name. I assume if the duped items are tracked, my phat will be taken away? Will I just be out the 50k I spent?
Death Rabbit
Level 3

Post by Death Rabbit »

I hope all players involved have been IP banned.
MageTank
Level 3

Post by MageTank »

Are you guys going to roll the server back because of the people who dupped? that would probably be the best bet to remove the items, and then IP ban the ones doing the methods... please keep us updated! I really enjoy playing your servers, I can tell y'all are dedicated to keeping it up and running.
veteran
Level 3

Post by veteran »

Thank you mods and anyone involved for all your time and efforts. It is truly an amazing game and being able to relieve many of our childhood memories through this game has been really cool. I look forward to playing this game forever! Cheers

-Keep up the great work
Wine
Level 10

Post by Wine »

Thanks Mods. Got me playing RS3 right now....bleh! Hope you get it back up and running soon. Cheers.
Malivorn
Level 3

Post by Malivorn »

Thanks to everyone who is working to get this resolved. By the time I started playing Runescape in 2009, this version was long gone so this was my first experience getting to enjoy what so many people before me did. I look forwarding to getting back online and enjoying friendly chats and grinding that xp! It sucks that there's players out there who want to ruin the fun for everyone, but hopefully those people will be banned multiple ways from doing this sort of thing again. In the meantime, I'll be back to the RS3 grind that I came here to take a break from, lol.