Open RSC 5.29.0 is Released!Open RSC 5.28.0 was released on 24 May 2023, about 20 weeks ago. We have been hard at work, and now have reached a very nice point of stability for release 5.29.0 today, 11 October 2023.
Big thanks to all the contributors on this release, including (alphabetically):
- Conker (consulting)
- Kris (consulting)
The Biggest Changes:
- Prolific RSC 203/204 protocol is now supported on RSC Preservation.
- This was the second-longest lived version of the RSC client protocol, enduring from 8 November 2005 until late September 2009. Most 3rd party client & server development was historically based off of mudclient 204, due to its longevity and by virtue of it being less obfuscated than the 2009+ RSC clients that came after it.
- The Odyssey is now available on RSC Cabbage.
- Read about this exciting & rewarding new minigame here: viewtopic.php?f=2&p=212
- Several additions to help with moderation.
- Several improvements to the core framework which have reduced lag significantly.
- Lag reduced to about 1/20th what it was in 5.28.0. We are continuing to identify and fix contributors of lag. It is now in a very good place though, only lagging 0.1% of the time in the most recent 120 hour long sample on RSC Preservation.
- 4 June 2023: On RSC Cabbage, the Pride Cape was made accessible, configurable by setting the "pride_month" server boolean to "true". If enabled, a server switched on in the month of June will have extra dialogue on the Make Over Mage to receive the cape. Thanks Ryan.
- 5 June 2023: On RSC Preservation, the server now supports the prolific RSC protocol 203 / 204! Thanks Stormy.
- 13 June 2023: On RSC Cabbage, you can now tan your own leather with animal fat on RSC Cabbage. Thanks HoofedEar.
- 13 June 2023: On RSC Cabbage, it is now possible to smith chain mail tops & plate mail tops directly, instead of relying on Thrander to convert plate mail bodies & chain mail bodies. Thanks Ryan.
- 17 June 2023: Open RSC framework now supports the
::copypasswordcommand for moderators, to help users regain access to their accounts when they have forgotten their password. Thanks Ken.
- 28 June 2023: On RSC Cabbage, pink text is now available with the
@pin@colour code. This is available for use in the experience counter menu as well. Thanks Ryan & Aurora.
- 6 July 2023: Open RSC framework now supports
::laincommand for moderators, allowing better moderation via manual bot detection. Thanks Logg.
- 16 July 2023: Open RSC framework now supports the ability to toggle the ability for users to skip the tutorial via
::gettutorialcommands. This is most useful if it is required to temporarily enforce a 10 minute buffer for user accounts being created during a raid. Thanks Logg.
- 16 July 2023: Open RSC framework now enforces that players agree to a hard-coded set of global chat rules via the
::i_have_read_and_agree_to_the_global_chat_rulescommands before being able to chat. This is currently not configurable. Thanks Ryan & Aurora.
- 26 July 2023: On RSC Cabbage, added Randolph & Mortimer certers in Varrock. Mortimer can cert Rune Stones. Randolph was not given a use until the release of The Odyssey. Thanks Ryan & Aurora.
- 1 September 2023: Open RSC framework now supports
::babymode, which is a moderation tool. When "Baby Mode" is enabled, new accounts are not allowed to speak in public chat or send private messages until they have reached a configurable total level. The message "Sorry, but someone we banned for breaking our rules is actively throwing a tantrum right now." is displayed to those who do not meet the requirement. Thanks Logg.
- 2 September 2023: Improved "register limit" logic to allow a configurable amount of accounts in a time period. Thanks Ken.
- 2 September 2023: The server has better default runtime arguments when run via
ant runserverzgc, including the usage of ZGC and a larger memory heap. Thanks Logg & Conker.
- 18 September 2023: Added the
::minigamelogcommand, which any player can use to check their stats on minigames, or stats of their online friends. This tracks Fishing Trawler, Gnomeball, Gnome restaurant, Gnome bar, and Kittens. Thanks Stormy.
- 25 September 2023: There is now a Makefile target to remove the oldest logs from the database every month. Thanks Ken.
- 26 September 2023: On RSC Cabbage, added a new kill counter to the Cabbage side menu that will keep track of your KC for the NPC you've last killed. Thanks Ryan.
- 26 September 2023: Moved the kill counter chat message to be toggled by a
::togglenpckcmessagescommand, on servers with NPC Kill Messages server config enabled. Thanks Ryan.
- 30 September 2023: On RSC Cabbage, The Odyssey minigame is now available, after completing Legend's Quest. This was deployed on 1 October. Thanks Ryan & Aurora.
- 30 September 2023: On RSC Cabbage, chain mail bodies now conform to the shape of the wearer, converting automatically to a chain mail top if applicable. Thanks Ryan & Aurora.
- 30 September 2023: On RSC Cabbage, the auction house filters were revised. Thanks Ellie.
- 1 October 2023: When a player is kicked from the server for sending more packets per second than allowed by the configuration of the server, this event is now optionally logged to a Discord moderation channel. Thanks Ken.
- 5 October 2023: "Tolerate bank pin" feature added. It's now possible to _not_ present Bank Pins as an available option for all users in the Banker dialogue menu, while still allowing them on the server for users who opt-in via the
::bankpinoptincommand. There is also now a
::bankpinoptoutcommand, to more quickly opt-out on servers that have bank pins enabled & default. Thanks Logg.
- 10 October 2023: On RSC Cabbage, as a moderator, it is now possible to use Biggum on another player to advance or reset their progress in the Odyssey. Thanks Ryan.
- 24 May 2023: Harvesting no longer batches on servers without batching enabled (affecting none of our live servers). Thanks Hoofed Ear.
- 5 June 2023: Shapeshifter no longer retreats. Thanks Yumeko.
- 7 June 2023: Implemented Report Abuse for protocols 182 to 204. Thanks Logg.
- 8 June 2023: Some game objects were not properly blocking projectiles. Thanks Yumeko.
- 10 June 2023: Kebabs now heal the correct amount. Thanks Yumeko.
- 13 June 2023: Monsters now walk more authentically. Thanks Yumeko.
- 13 June 2023: Various fixes by Ryan.
- Added 2 armor to the cape of inclusion
- Cape of inclusion is no longer tradable or noteable
- Cape of inclusion can now be reclaimed from Thessalia if lost.
- Disabled the PK kill feed on Cabbage as it usually just led to people flaming each other.
- Dying to Peter Skippin will now reset your HP properly.
- Peter Skippin no longer kills HCIM and just skips the tutorial for them.
- Fixed a bug where Rune Mysteries could not be discussed until Peeling the Onion was completed.
- Fixed some bugs with the apothecary QOL dialog and moved it into its own functions.
- Apothecary no longer batch creates strength potions on non-cabbage servers.
- 15 June 2023: Path validation issues resolved. Thanks Yumeko.
- 16 June 2023: RSC Cabbage NPC aggro distance set to 1 tile, as with the new more authentic pathing, > 1 tile aggro lead to buggy behaviour such as not being able to attack aggressive NPCs (they always reach you first). This also reduces the ability to AFK combat train. Thanks Yumeko.
- 17 July 2023: Fixed issue where player could escape combat early if they target another opponent with a spell and that opponent moves away. Thanks Yumeko.
- 26 July 2023: UIM can no longer exchange certs at bankers. Thanks Ryan.
- 26 July 2023: Ability to hide the wifi/battery icon in the android app. Thanks Luis.
- 7 August 2023: On RSC Cabbage, It is no longer possible to combine the effect of Artisan Crowns with Enfeebled Talismans. Thanks Ryan.
- 7 August 2023: On RSC Cabbage, the Artisan Crown now affects only the Herblaw, Crafting, Fletching, Smithing, Runecrafting, and Cooking skills. These are the ones considered to be "Artisan" skills. Previously it affected all skills except Attack, Defense, Strength, Hits, Ranged, Magic, and Prayer. Thanks Ryan.
- 16 August 2023: Android app now connects at ports 43602 for RSC Preservation & 43601 for RSC Uranium, in preparation of improving protocol separation. Thanks Logg.
- 17 August 2023: The Open RSC Launcher was updated to point at
http://game.openrsc.com, which no longer exists. New ports were also chosen here. Thanks Logg.
- 1 September 2023: Added fallback NPC/Item/Object loading in the RSC Cabbage client, which will make it more possible to use an outdated client on an updated server without crashing. Thanks Ken.
- 13 September 2023: Fixed an issue where players could get stuck while cancelling bank pin entry on non-cabbage clients. (also changed the wording "to sound more RSC-y"). Thanks Ryan.
- 14 September 2023: Fixed single-player functionality on Linux. Thanks Ken.
- 26 September 2023: Fixed the Cabbage kill counter on the side menu. Will now show total NPC kills, as intended. Thanks Ryan.
- 26 September 2023: Updated the SQL creation files to use InnoDB for all tables. Thanks Ken.
- 26 September 2023: Remove unnecessary synchronization for methods that do not get called concurrently. These were being inadvertently synchronized on a primitive, which caused massive lag. Thanks Ken & Kris.
- 30 September 2023: Fixed 203 detection issue which cause 233 clients to disconnect immediately at login. Thanks Logg.
- 30 September 2023: Fixed KBD prayer drain mechanic. Now drains to a percentage of current prayer points instead of a constant 1 prayer point. Thanks Luis.
- 5 October 2023: No longer capitalize the Prayer and Hits skills unnecessarily 32,000 times a second, improving performance. Thanks Logg.
- 10 October 2023: Quick-fix for chaos dwarf task having wrong NPC ID checked in the Odyssey. Thanks Ryan.
- 10 October 2023: Dragon Scale Mail Tops now apply dragonfire protection, as intended, the same as regular Dragon Scale Mail. Thanks Ryan.
- 10 October 2023: Fixed a chainmail duplication bug on servers which have the "form fitting chainmail" server config option enabled. This was not exploited on our live servers. Thanks Ken.